- Mommy? How much longer?
- We are 2/10 of the way! You’re amazing!
- Mommy? How far is 2/10? Can you just tell me?
- Gigi! You know it’s… I meant to say 2/5. You’ve gone 4 miles. I was trying to be clever for my seventh grader.
- Just tell me next time. Your brain is not functioning properly right now.
Oh how true. Then:
- I’m done, Mom. Done, done, DONE!
- Seriously. How much longer?
- We’ve gone 7 mi…
- Oh good! 7 miles! Just three more to go! We can do that, it’s just a 5 K or three times around the smallest block…
- MOMMY! How much longer now?
- We’ve gone 7.1 miles. Stop asking.
- I’m so over this run.
- Are we there yet?
- Seriously, Gi, does it look like we are there? No car! No parking lot!
- I know, but how much longer! I’M DONE!
- Well, we have a few choices: I can baby you, coach you or bully you. Which do you choose? I can call Daddy to come get you, we can walk and review how amazing this has been so far or I can turn into your drill sergeant and tell you that you have to get back to the car, one way or another, so hustle! Help me help you.
- You don’t have to do any of that.
- No. It’s just fun to complain a little. I’m having a great time. I mean, I’m over it, but I am running ten miles today no matter what.
And we did.